18 Unique Ideas for a Staycation in Washington D.C.
Discover eighteen unique staycation ideas in Washington D.C., from exploring iconic monuments and world-class museums to experiencing nature’s tranquility in the city and savoring local flavors at markets and breweries. Enjoy the capital like never before.
- Embark on a Monuments and Memorials tour: Spend a day walking or biking around the National Mall visiting famous landmarks such as the Lincoln Memorial, the Washington Monument, and the World War II Memorial. Don’t forget to check out the Martin Luther King Jr. Memorial and the Thomas Jefferson Memorial too.
- Explore the Smithsonian Museums: With free entry, you could spend several days exploring these fantastic museums. Favorites include the National Museum of Natural History, the National Air and Space Museum, and the Smithsonian American Art Museum.
- Visit the U.S. Botanic Garden: This living plant museum is a peaceful oasis in the heart of the city. The National Garden and Bartholdi Park are must-visits.
- Discover Local Food Markets: Check out Eastern Market or Union Market to find local food vendors, fresh produce, and unique arts and crafts.
- Enjoy a Picnic in Rock Creek Park: This urban park offers various activities from hiking and biking to picnicking by the creek. You could also visit the nature center or planetarium.
- Take a Cruise on the Potomac River: There are numerous boat tours available, or you could rent kayaks for a more active day on the river.
- Explore Historic Georgetown: Enjoy the historic charm, upscale shops, and delightful cafes in Georgetown. The C&O Canal and Georgetown Waterfront Park are must-visit spots.
- Visit Local Breweries and Wineries: DC has a vibrant local brewing and winemaking scene. Spend a day touring some of these local establishments, many of which offer tasting sessions and behind-the-scenes tours.
- Visit Dumbarton Oaks: This historic estate in Georgetown boasts magnificent gardens, a museum featuring Byzantine and Pre-Columbian art, and stunning architecture.
- Stroll Through the National Arboretum: This 446-acre living museum is home to a stunning array of plant species. Highlights include the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum and the famous Capitol Columns.
- Savor the Culinary Scene: Washington D.C. has an exciting food scene. Book a food tour or plan a culinary crawl of your own, focusing on distinct neighborhoods.
- Explore the Wharf: This waterfront area is filled with restaurants, shops, and beautiful views of the Potomac River. Consider a paddle-boarding or kayaking session while you’re there.
- Experience Nightlife in Adams Morgan: Known for its vibrant nightlife, Adams Morgan is filled with bars, clubs, and live music venues. It’s also home to some of the city’s most eclectic dining spots.
- Visit the National Zoo: A staycation is a perfect time to visit the Smithsonian National Zoo, home to over 2,700 animals.
- Immerse in Art at the Hirshhorn Museum: This museum features contemporary and modern art. Its unique, circular architecture is a standout in D.C.’s museum scene.
- Explore the Mount Vernon Trail: For a bit of exercise and some stunning views, cycle or walk along this 18-mile trail that offers beautiful vistas of D.C.’s landmarks and the Potomac River.
- Tour the Library of Congress: The largest library in the world, this iconic institution offers an array of fascinating exhibits.
- Experience a Virtual Performance: Many of D.C.’s theaters, like the Kennedy Center or the Shakespeare Theatre Company, offer virtual performances you can enjoy from the comfort of your home.
In conclusion, Washington D.C. offers a diverse range of staycation activities. You can delve into the rich history of the National Mall with its captivating monuments and memorials, or stimulate your intellect with the world-class collections in the Smithsonian Museums. Enjoy the tranquility of the U.S. Botanic Garden and the recreational opportunities at Rock Creek Park. Discover the culinary delights of local food markets like Eastern Market and Union Market. For a unique perspective, take a cruise on the Potomac River or explore the historic charm of Georgetown. To wrap up your day, enjoy locally crafted brews at D.C.’s breweries and wineries. These experiences are sure to make your staycation in Washington D.C. an unforgettable one.